Power of Attorney
Need legal advice now from a lawyer in Brighton or London?
Call email or provide us with a few details of your matter by completing the enquiry box and we will endeavour to reply to you within 48 hours.
London: 0203 358 0058
Brighton: 01273 696 962
Types of Power of Attorney
General Power of Attorney (England & Wales)
- Granting a General Power of Attorney allows someone else (the attorney) the authority to manage your affairs for a set period of time, for example, if you’re overseas for a couple of years.
- As General Power of Attorney becomes invalid if you become mentally incapable, it is not suitable for managing the affairs of ailing relatives – a lasting power of attorney should be used instead.
Lasting Power of Attorney – Health and Welfare
- If you are no longer able to look after your own health and welfare, i.e. – your social and health care needs, Lasting Power of Attorney – Health and Welfare (LPA-HW) will give that power to another person, or persons, called your ‘attorney’. Once the power comes into effect, your attorney(s) will have the authority to act on your behalf in matters relating to your health and welfare, subject to any restrictions you may place on them.
- Your attorney(s) will only be able to act when you lack the capacity to do so yourself, for example, if you are ill, unconscious or because of the onset of a condition such as dementia.
Lasting Power of Attorney – Property and Financial Affairs
- If you are no longer able to look after your own financial affairs, due to such factors as an illness, accident or the onset of dementia, a Lasting Power of Attorney – Property and Financial Affairs (LPA-PA) will give that power to an appointed attorney. Once the power comes into effect, your attorney(s) will have the authority to act on your behalf on property and financial matters.
Talk to our Power of Attorney Solicitors
If you need help arranging Power of Attorney for yourself or for a loved one or friend, you can call our expert solicitors 7 days a week. With offices in Brighton and London, we cover the whole of the South East. If you would like to speak to a member of our experienced team today please call us on 01273 696962 or click the button below to request a callback.
Huge praise for Arlingsworth from the husband and I. Very understanding and compassionate; it was an absolute pleasure working with you.Jack Woolf
It really is true – Arlingsworth provided ‘Absolute Service’ as promised. Incredibly satisfied and so happy the case has been finally resolved!Dan Foster
Overall Arlingsworth are 100% perfect in all aspects of their service.Adrian Sutherland